Simple Beef & Barley Soup
This warm and hearty soup will fill up your crew and leave you confident in your dinner decision.
** This recipe feed a family of 10 with a small container of left overs.
- 7.5lbs beef spare ribs or soup bones
- 2 TBS butter
- 2 TBS minced garlic
- 3 medium onions, diced
- 6 carrots, diced
- 6 celery stems, diced
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cups broth (chicken or beef)
- 4 cups water
- 1 box barley
- prep and dice everything
- thaw soup bones or short ribs. If using short ribs remove the skin and cut in sections.
- melt 2 TBS butter, add garlic and onions until browned
- add ribs/bones and sear on both sides. Approx 3-5mins
- add 4 cups broth, 2 cans of stewed tomatoes, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. bring to boil, cover and reduce to simmer.
- simmer for 1 hour
- remove meat/bones from pot. Cool meat and shred. Discard bones and add meat back to pot.
- take a moment to taste the broth, adjust salt/pepper as needed
- add 4 cups water and 1 box of barley, cook for 10min while calling the family to eat.
- sever with warm rolls or crackers