Curious about bees and honey? This year we will be hosting an Introduction to Bee Keeping class here at the farm. Saturday July 13, 2019 12-2pm
In this course individuals will understand and learn:
- Basic knowledge of a bee hive
- inspection of a live hive
- extraction process of honey
The description and physical attributes of different types of hives while knowing the pros and cons of each. Following discussion we will open inspect a live hive, while visually observing each frame for laying patterns and overall health.
Lastly we will extract honey using a hand driven extractor. We will extract the honey using a simple gravity filter method. Participants will be able to take home a 6oz jar of honey that they extracted themselves.
- please understand this class may not be suitable for young children
- participants may want to wear long sleeved clothing while observing the hive inspection
- class is approx 2 hours