1 1/4lb Yellow Squash
1lb egg plant (optional)
1/2 lb Yellow Onion
1/2 lb Red Pepper
5 garlic cloves
1 3/4 lb diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
2 tsp fresh thyme
3/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
Fresh basil for garnishing
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1. Preheat over to 375 degrees.
2. Using a sharp knife or a mandoline, slice the yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes into approximately ¹⁄₁₆-inch (1-mm)-thick rounds, then set aside.
3. Make the sauce: Heat the olive oil in a oven safe pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion, garlic, and bell peppers until soft, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then add the diced tomatoes. Stir until the ingredients are fully incorporated. Remove from heat, then add the basil. Stir once more, then smooth the surface of the sauce with a spatula.
4. Arrange the veggies in alternating slices, (for example, eggplant, tomato, squash, zucchini) on top of the sauce, working from the outer edge to the center of the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover, then bake for another 20 minutes, until the vegetables are softened.
7. Serve hot as a main dish or side. The ratatouille is also excellent the next day.