For the toasted bread:
1 loaf of your favorite bread
Salt & black pepper
For the stuffing/dressing:
2 pounds pork or turkey sausage (we mix 1 regular pork sausage and 1 spicy or Italian pork sausage)
6 stalks celery, diced (2 cups)
2 large gala apples
1 medium onion, diced (1 cup)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Preheat the oven (for dressing):
Preheat the oven to 425°F. *If stuffing your bird than follow the directions for cooking your turkey.
Toast the bread cubes:
You can leave out the night, or day before but I find it easiest to use a toaster. After toasting all the bread I cut them into 1/2" cubes.
Prepare your baking dish:
Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and set it aside.
Chop & combine everything together. With your hands crumble the pork sausage into chunks the size of the bread pieces. With your hands toss all of the ingredients together, salt & pepper to taste. *Keep loose, do not pack.
- Spray one side of the foil with cooking spray or brush with oil to prevent any of the stuffing from sticking to the top.
- Cover the baking dish with the aluminum foil oil side down, then place in the oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the foil, and continue baking for 20 additional minutes. When it’s ready, the stuffing will look moist but have a nice crispy texture on top, and a golden color.
- Stuff your bird, one handful at a time in the large cavity. I also stuff underneath each of the legs and in the neck area when I double this recipe. It is perfectly find to pack it in as much as you can. The contents will cook all the way through.
- Bake the turkey per the instructions. When it’s ready, the stuffing will look moist but have a nice crispy texture on top, and a golden color.
- To serve, scoop the stuffing out and put into a serving container. Enjoy!