This easy scalloped potatoes recipe (or potato gratin as some will call it) is one of my favorite recipes when I want to make a homemade potato and ham casserole that everyone will love. Every single time, they will go for seconds or even thirds.
If you’re planning to serve it to a large table, I would definitely plan to make 2 casseroles because they will be gone!
- Thin Sliced Potatoes –6 cups potato slices, thin sliced (1/4 inch). You can use any type of potatoes: yellow, red or Russet (Idaho) potatoes. To make it easier, you can use a mandoline slicer
- Ham – 2 cups ham, any cooked ham or Easter ham leftovers
- Butter - 4 tablespoons butter
- Milk –3 cups milk, whole milk or 2% milk.
- Flour - 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- Cheese – 2 cups cheese, cheddar cheese, or a combination of cheddar and mozzarella. Grated cheddar cheese works perfect for this recipe, or a combination of grated mozzarella and cheddar. This scalloped potato recipe has to be cheesy, it ads a bit of richness and a lot of flavor too
- Dried Herbs: I love the taste when adding dried parsley and chives
- Thinly Slice Potatoes – You can use any type of potatoes: yellow, red or Russet (Idaho) potatoes. To make it easier, you can use a mandoline slicer
- Cube Ham – you can use any type of cooked ham. Perfect way to use up some of the left over Easter ham.
- Melt Butter- In sauce pan melt butter, add 1/4 cup flour (stirring constantly), add cheese, salt & pepper to taste, and add milk (stirring constantly) until it forms a thick bubble rue.
- Pre grease pan
- Layer potatoes, ham, (onions * optional), in pan and pour with 1/2 of the cheese sauce, sprinkle with 1 cup cheddar cheese, repeat layers.
- Sprinkle any dried herbs on top.
- Cover with foil and bake in 375 degree oven for 60min. Remove foil and bake another 15min until potatoes are tender and sauce is brown and bubbly.
Buy the Kit & Save 10%
- Potatoes $3.98
- Ham $24.00
- Butter $6.25
- Milk $6.50 (includes jar deposit)
- Cheese $12
- Onion $1.29
- (four & herbs not available at this time)