These delightful fan favorites will take your game day fun to the next level. They're super easy to make and the kids will love to help put the "laces" on. Touchdown!
- 1/2 lb ground beef BUY NOW
- 1/4 yellow onion, diced BUY NOW
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 oz diced green chiles
- 4 oz diced pimento peppers
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 8 oz shredded cheese, I used cheddar BUY NOW
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts (or make your own pie pastry dough)
- 1 egg whisked
- 2 oz softened cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Unroll pie crusts on a clean, flat surface. Use a 4 inch round pastry cutter to cut circles from dough.
(If desired, combine scraps, roll out, and cut again)
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef.
- Stir in onions, cumin, chili powder, salt, green chiles, and pimento peppers. Sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, followed by the cheese. Remove from heat.
- Spoon about 2 tbsp of the beef mixture into the center of each pie crust circle.
- Fold dough over and use a fork to seal the dough along the curved edge.
- Arrange in a single layer, not touching, on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the empanadas with egg wash.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the empanadas are baking, put the softened cream cheese in a pastry bag with a small, plain nozzle - or use a sandwich sized resealable bag with a small tip of the corner cut out.
- Draw the football laces on the curved edge of the empanadas with the cream cheese, and serve!