- 1 pound ground beef BUY NOW
- 1 can chili beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- Chili seasoning (a seasoning packet or make your own)
- 8 brats BUY NOW
- 8 brat buns
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened but not melted
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I use colby jack)
- Sour cream
- Sliced jalapenos, as garnish
*I cook the chili in advance and make the brats later. If you make it all at once, do steps 4 & 5 while browning the beef.
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Brown the ground beef over medium heat, drain.
Tip: Don't drain the fat, and instead cook about 5 minutes longer to absorb flavor!
- Add chili seasoning, beans, tomatoes and chiles, and simmer until sauce is thickened, about 5-6 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Brown the brats on the grill or a nonstick skillet, rotating to cook evenly, about 10 minutes.
- Butter the insides of the brat buns and toast them in the oven in a greased 9x13 casserole dish for 3 minutes.
- Place brats in buns, top with chili, cover in cheese.
- Place in oven for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Top with sour cream and sliced jalapenos, if desired, and serve!